These homemade apple cinnamon hand pies are made with puff pastry and filled with delicious cinnamon spiced apples. They are incredibly easy to make and are a delicious fall dessert. Be sure to top them with ice cream and my homemade caramel sauce for the ultimate treat.
What are apple cinnamon hand pies?
Apple cinnamon hand pies are simply small pies that you can eat with your hands! These pies are small in size, but not small in flavor. They are made with puff pastry, which gives the flavor of a flaky pie crust, and then filled with deliciously spiced cinnamon apples that you would find in an apple pie.
What do you put in hand pies?
These hand pies are filled with the best apple cinnamon filling. They are cooked until tender in sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
What ingredients are needed for making homemade apple cinnamon hand pies?
- puff pastry
- apples (Granny Smith, red delicious, or honey crisp)
- lemon juice
- half and half or milk
How to make homemade apple cinnamon hand pies from scratch.
Since these hand pies are made with puff pastry, they are super simple to make. Puff pastry can be found in the frozen section of the grocery store near the frozen pie shells. The puff pastry will be frozen, so you’ll need to thaw it out before using.
After your pastry dough has thawed out, unfold dough sheets and cut into rectangles.
Place a scoop of apple filling onto one side of the pastry dough. I like to use a small ice cream scoop for scooping the filling, which I also use for making my no bake peanut butter cookies and all of my cupcake recipes.
Fold the pastry dough in half covering the apple mixture and seal the edge with a fork.
Bake hand pies in the oven until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
How to store hand pies?
If you have any leftovers, and that’s a big if ;), store them in airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them slightly in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy them again.
What goes good with these hand pies?
These babies are delicious by themselves, but for the ultimate treat you must top them off with ice cream and my homemade caramel sauce. Don’t be afraid to make your own caramel. It’s easy and you’ll never go back to store bought again! Be sure to warm up the hand pies before topping them with ice cream and homemade caramel sauce for the whole melty, ooey, gooey goodness!
Homemade Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies
- 1 box puff pastry sheets
- 3-4 diced apples (Granny Smith, red delicious, honey crisp)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp half and half or milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- pinch of salt
- Thaw out puff pastry sheets on kitchen counter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dice apples and toss with lemon juice.
- Add diced apples, butter, sugar, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a large sauce pan on medium heat and stir until well combined. Bring apple mixture to a boil. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Let the mixture boil until apples are tender. Check apples for tenderness by poking with a fork.
- Place flour and half and half into a small bowl and thoroughly mix. Slowly add flour mixture to apple filling while continuing to stir. Remove from heat and let cool. Apple filling will thicken as it cools.
- Cut puff pastry strips in halves to create rectangles. Once apple filling has cooled slightly and thickened, place a small amount onto the pastry dough. Fold pastry dough over apple filling and seal the edges with a fork by gently pressing the back of fork into the dough and then pulling towards you.
- Place all filled hand pies on a cookie sheet and bake according to the puff pastry directions, usually 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy them warm and plain or warm with ice cream and homemade caramel sauce! Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator.
More recipes you’ll love!