These carrot cake cupcakes are moist, fluffy, delicious and easy to make. They are perfectly spiced, and filled with real carrots. Learn how to make, decorate, and store carrot cake cupcakes. Be sure to top them off with my favorite cream cheese icing for the ultimate dessert.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
These cupcakes are a spin off of my delicious carrot cake sheet cake. The recipe is a one bowl recipe, which makes them super easy to make, and a lot less mess to clean up. I’m all for less mess! They are made with brown sugar, which makes them so moist and fluffy, and are spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg for the perfect spice and sweet balance. A hefty amount of grated carrots are added, giving them a naturally sweet boost, and making them the ultimate carrot cake cupcakes.
Ingredients you’ll need
To make these delicious cupcakes, you’ll need a few ingredients:
- vegetable oil
- brown sugar
- vanilla flavoring
- sour cream
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
Tools you’ll need to make carrot cupcakes
Since these are one bowl cupcakes, you won’t need a lot of special tools, but you will need a few everyday ones:
- medium mixing bowl
- rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
How to make carrot cake cupcakes
You’ll start making these cupcakes by whisking together the oil and brown sugar. Next, you’ll add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and whisk until everything is well combined. Then you’ll add all of your dry ingredients directly into your mixing bowl and fold them into your wet ingredients. Lastly, fold your grated carrots into your batter. Spoon your batter into your cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners and they’ll be ready to bake.
Cream cheese icing
Make sure to top these cupcakes with my favorite rich and creamy cream cheese frosting. This cream cheese frosting is super easy to make and is made with just 4 ingredients; butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
How to decorate carrot cake cupcakes
Pipe your cream cheese frosting onto your cupcakes with a decorating piping tip to give them a beautiful decorated look. My favorite piping tips for decorating cupcakes is a closed star piping tip. Lastly, you can add chopped pecans or grated carrots to your cupcakes, which will give them a beautiful festive look.
How to store carrot cupcakes
Always store desserts that contain cream cheese in the refrigerator. To prevent drying out store in an air tight container.
How long do carrot cupcakes last?
Carrot cupcakes will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze carrot cake cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze carrot cupcakes. They will last in the freezer for up to 2 months. Be sure to store them in a freezer bag or other airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce cream cheese, full fat and softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, salted and room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until all ingredients are completely combined.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add all dry ingredients directly to wet ingredients and fold until just combined.
- Fold in grated carrots.
- Spoon or poor batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean. Usually when you begin to smell the cupcakes, they are getting close to being done.
- Let cupcakes cool to room temperature and top with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together butter, and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until creamy.