Ice cream cone drip cakes are a very popular birthday cake and with this tutorial you’ll be able to make your own!
Upside down ice cream cone cakes have been a very popular cake for a while and there’s good reasons why. They always look super cute, they’re delicious, and they’re pretty easy to make too. I’ve made them in chocolate and vanilla.
What kind of icing is used on ice cream cone drip cakes?
Buttercream is usually the icing of choice for ice cream cones cakes. You can use American buttercream, Swiss meringue buttercream or any other buttercream recipe you want.
Can you do a drip cake on fondant covered cakes?
You don’t want to use candy melts or any other melting chocolate on fondant cakes. The warm chocolate can cause the fondant to melt and you’ll end up with a mess. If you want make a drip cake with a fondant covered cake, your best bet is to use royal icing.
How do you make an ice cream cone drip cake?
What you will need.
- A frosted cake.
- Ice cream cone of your choice (I used a waffle cone).
- Candy melts in the color of your choice. I used Wilton pink.
- Cake pop dough.
- Sprinkles (optional).
Putting it together
- After you’ve frosted your cake, take your cake pop dough and form a ball for the ice cream.
- Place the ball of dough on top of your cake.
- Pour your melted candy melts over the dough and immediately stick your ice cream cone on top of the dough so the candy melts will act like glue holding the cone in place.
- Take the remaining melted candy melts and spoon onto the entire top of the cake dripping some down the sides.
- If you want to add sprinkles, go ahead and add them before your candy melts have hardened.
And you have your perfect upside down ice cream cone drip cake! Go ahead and give it a try, it’s not hard I promise!
Here are more ice cream inspired birthday treat ideas.
Ice cream cake pops
Ice Cream Sugar Cookies
Do you have any other questions about making your own ice cream cone drip cake? If so, let me know in the comments!